Wednesday, May 16, 2012

THE TOTAL THYROID

Ok, so most of us know what the thyroid is but do you know what it does? Most people take for granted even having a thyroid. Many people don't realize what a blessing it is to have a thyroid. I know I was one of those people, but ever since i've learned more about it and seen first-hand what my dad and others go through due to not paying close attention, I make sure to take care of myself now. Honestly, I used to not even know what the thyroid was. Now I know that without it, life is more difficult. The thyroid plays a very important part in your health. It is a very important gland in your body, without it you won't be able to function properly. It controls your hormones, metabolism, and heart rate. Due to various causes, partial or all of the thyroid must be removed. Unfortunately, my dad had to get his whole thyroid removed and is still struggling with many problems to this day because of it. So, my point is that you should take care of your thyroid because you don't want the issues that come with a damaged thyroid.  



TIPS FOR TAKING CARE OF YOUR THYROID:

1) EAT IODINE-RICH FOODS:
Some foods rich in iodine include spinach, walnuts, almonds, mustard greens, asparagus, lima beans, turnips, and brown rice.

2) EAT FOODS THAT CONTAIN HEALTHY FAT:
Nuts and seeds, olives and olive oil, nuts, and avocado.


2) STOP SMOKING:
 Smoking tobacco conatins substances that negatively affect the thyroid. The longer you smoke, the greater your risk of thyroid disease.


3) EXERCISE REGULARLY:
This can increase hormone production as well as boost metabolism and control weight.





0 comments:

Post a Comment